MWC Classic 46mm Limited Edition Bronze XL Luftwaffe Pattern Military Aviators Watch with Sapphire Crystal (Retro Dial Version)
SKU Code: CLIX/LW/BZ
This Bronze MWC Ltd Edition Classic aviator watch is one of our classic Pilot watch models. Bronze is made of a combination of copper and tin, bronze also has some natural properties that set it apart from other MWC models made of stainless steel or titanium. The main difference is that bronze doesn't corrode in the same way as other metals, once it's manufactured it soon begins to develop a patina to protect it from damage and every watch develops this patina in a unique way so whilst every watch starts off looking exactly the same after a short time no two watches will look identical because the patina will be slightly different, it is this particular characteristic which makes bronze so desirable, interestingly even saltwater and brine can’t penetrate or damage bronze, despite the retro vintage look of bronze watch cases, the material was only used for the first time in watches less than 30 years ago even though bronze is one of the oldest metals known to man and was first made before 3000 BC!
The Classic Aviator range watches are all based on military designs from the 1940s and 50s. Some of the models have a traditional second hand within a subsidiary dial above 6 o'clock as opposed to a sweep secondhand because this was a common feature in the 1940s, the other models have sweep secondhand's which started to replace watches with subsidiary dials from round 1943 onward. These varying designs mean you have the option to choose a model that suits your personal style preferences.
The extra-large case diameter of 46mm (excluding the crown) makes this a very imposing timepiece that has considerable presence and tends to attract a lot of favourable comments, especially from other watch enthusiasts. The large dial size together with Luminova paint makes this watch extremely easy to read day or night just as with the World War II originals.
This model has a traditional automatic 24 jewel NH35A mechanical movement which is visible through the clear caseback the movement has a 41-hour power reserve when fully wound.
- Movement: Self Winding NH35A 21,600 BPH automatic 24 Jewel
- Diameter: 46 mm excluding the crown
- Thickness: 15 mm
- Dial: Black dial with Luminova painted numbers and sweep second hand
- Case Material: Bronze
- Screw Down Crown
- Water Resistance: 100m / 330ft
- Strap: 24mm High-Quality Stitched Leather
- Crystal: Non-reflective and shatter-resistant sapphire crystal*
- Caseback: Clear Caseback provides a comprehensive view of the mechanical movement
Please Note: For interest value, there are some pictures of the original WWII German Luftwaffe watches which inspired this range at this LINK
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers, and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.